What you’ll need:
- 5 ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 8 largish leaves of basil
- 1 medium shallot
- 3 tbsp olive oil (more flavourful the better)
- salt and pepper
- 1 french bread/baguette of some sort
How to make:
- dice up all of your tomatoes, shallot and mince the garlic. Add all three to a bowl
- an optional step is to squeeze out some of the insides from the tomatoes to make for less “sauce” at the bottom of the bowl.
- add olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- shred up or rip the basil into small strips and add right before serving.
- Serve fresh on top of bread or as “serve yourself” style.
For the bread:
- for the bread, I like to slice it up into 1/2 inch rounds. Pop a tbsp of olive oil into the pan and place the rounds in on medium heat. They cook quickly so keep an eye on them.